How to Get a Great Night's Sleep: The 5 Simple Steps to Better Sleep
Can't sleep? You toss and you turn all night never seeming to get comfortable, never seeming to feel like you are even close to sleep? I bet you've tried a few different solutions too, warm milk or maybe even sleeping pills. The thing is, the reason why you can't sleep could be because of many many different things. Always get a check from a health care provider if you have specific concerns. However, if you want simple solutions to sleep better then the following steps can help you get that great night's sleep:
1. Sleep on your side: Sleeping on your side is an acquired taste if all you have been doing is stomach sleeping. The side position is best for your neck posture and for improving breathing which is a common cause for frequently waking. Try placing a pillow between your knees in order to prevent rolling onto your stomach.
2. Find the right pillow: Finding the right pillow is vitally important. The best pillows are contoured to support the neck. In the side sleeping position the pillow should fill the entire space between your neck and the mattress. Your head should not be tilted up or down but be in line with your spine.
3. No digital entertainment before bed: Avoid any forms of digital entertainment at least 1 hour prior to bed. Digital entertainment means movies, TV, Xbox, computer/laptop use, even a kindle. Stay away from all forms. Trying reading a few pages of non-fiction instead.
4. Wait 3 hours after eating: When you eat and got to bed shortly after what happens is that your stomach is still full of food. Whilst your stomach is full in the lying down position it shifts upwards towards your diaphragm which is your main breathing muscle. This prevents you from breathing properly and can lead to a very disturbed sleep.
5. Get an Adjustment: Getting specific chiropractic adjustments can make a real difference to your sleep. Chiropractic improves the function of your nervous system. An overactive nervous system can often be the reason for poor sleep. Chiropractic can help reduce the overactivity which helps your whole system calm down. Give it a go, it worked wonders for me!
Just follow these 5 simple steps to get a great night's sleep and you will find you can fall asleep quicker, stay asleep longer and experience more energy every morning.